A woman was killed and a man is still recovering after both suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning at a cabin in Sturgeon Lake. 

The Pine County Sheriff’s Office reports that at about 8:49 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 9, first responders were dispatched to a medical emergency at 87060 Alder Loop in Sturgeon Lake. When Moose Lake fire arrived, they were told that family members had broken a door to gain access to the cabin and the victims. 

Pine County deputies, Moose Lake Police, Moose Lake Fire Department and Mercy Ambulance responded to the scene. 

A 59-year-old female identified as Brenda Ann Kurys was pronounced dead at the scene and a 57-year-old male was found unconscious and having difficulty breathing.

The man was transported to Mercy Hospital in Moose Lake and transferred to a Metro area hospital. 

The cabin was found to be heated with portable heating units. One of the units was a propane heater, commonly called a “sunflower.” That type of heater is not designed for use in non-ventilated situations. Moose Lake fire advised the cabin air had elevated levels of carbon monoxide when they arrived.  

Midwest Medical Examiners performed an examination and confirmed the cause of death was due to carbon monoxide toxicity. 

The Pine County Sheriff’s Office released a statement reminding the public of the possible fatal consequences of misusing heaters.  

“The heating season is still here and the use of portable heaters, whether electric or other fuel source, creates dangers,” the statement read.

As of Feb. 24 the male victim has been released from the hospital and is still recovering.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.